Sunday, April 11, 2010

persevere.

i think this blog is a reminder to myself. i only have 4 more weeks until i graduate -- 4 weeks! and to be honest, writing this research paper, finding a job, finding a place to live, and moving is a little overwhelming at times. but i'm frequently reminding myself to sit. breathe. and remember just how much has happened in the past 4 years that i've overcome.

at class on thursday, my professor made us go around and say what we are good at. of course, initially, the exercise made us all sound very conceited; but its important as individuals to be honest too and feel okay with with telling others what we're good at. some people were better at cheering people up. one girl was a great cheer coach. someone else was a great parker (yes, she said that). i wasn't entirely sure of one thing i was good at...that i've always been good at. when it came down to it, i told my professor that i was good at persevering despite rough life circumstances. and i believe that's true. the past 4 years have been filled with a lot of happy times, but it was also filled with bad roommate situations, anxiety, poor professors, and heart-ache. i never completely gave up; i struggled through them perhaps, but i never moved to a different part of campus or withdrew from a class because i was doing poorly or let my anxiety stop me from working or doing well during my college career.

after class, my professor stopped me and told me, "you know. you are good at persevering. i really thought that we were going to lose you earlier this year." (cue me getting teary) "you came into my office trembling, and i wasn't sure if you were going to make it."

i did though. and here i am on the brink of another adventure: life AFTER college. but i in no way can take credit for the perseverance i've had; i can't even recount how many times i've prayed for help from my God or prayed with a friend or had an encouraging word from a professor. but i think that's life: we weren't meant to live on our own or do everything ourselves. God gives us family or friends or bosses that bring encouragement and healing in our lives. and i know that even though this whole graduating thing is scary -- and even though i'm not sure how i'm going to get everything done beforehand -- i know that there are people in my life who are praying for me and willing to offer a hand to hold on to or a shoulder to cry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment