Tuesday, June 15, 2010

as much as i ever could.

I had this whole schpeel typed out about how receiving zero income isn't the worst part about being unemployed -- people's judgment is the worst part. People don't know how early I wake up or how many days I don't go to the pool. And the surely don't know that my library card gets more use than my TV remote. BUT, I'm trying not to let other's opinions rule my heart. I spent way too long last year trying to please others, and it exhausted me & made me anxious & was overall useless. I am trying my best to obtain a job that fits me; sending 10 resumes out twice a week will have to pay off sometime.

I've been reading a lot of history about the time of Jesus. Mainly the political history of the times and how His lifestyle of near poverty has turned into "giving soup cans to the poor" today instead of giving the clothes off our back, the food off our table, and time off of our busy schedules. I think what's helped me the most during this stage of unemployment after college is that Jesus focused on praying for daily bread instead of bread for a whole year. He preached faith in God the Father for providing daily necessities instead of receiving fortunes to hoard. I was studying a verse that talked about having too many riches; if we have too much, we begin to say "Who is the Lord?" We forget who provided in the first place. When we only receive daily provisions, we are constantly seeking Christ, constantly having faith in His providing us our needs.

I wish there was more to blog about. I've felt completely bombarded with things to do lately, that my brain has turned to muck. I have no more projects to complete anymore, well, at least none that I can currently afford. I bought a used sewing machine that I'm in love with, and I'd love to sew a quilt for my couch. If you'd like to donate fabric to the cause -- ha! -- please comment & we'll work something out.

I've seen a dozen different people my age get married recently (thank you, Facebook, for allowing me to see pictures). What do you guys think about people my age getting married? Sometimes, I feel like 22 is really young and other times, I feel its older. All of my siblings got married either at my age or younger, and their marriages have not failed. As Christians, we are called to a higher standard for dating: no sex, no living together, putting Christ first. The average age that people get married now is 27 (and the divorce right an even 50/50; but talking about divorce, I believe that rate is so high because people get married nowadays thinking that they've found "the one" and things will magically fall into place. When in reality, marriage isn't so much about finding the right person as it is about making the commitment: recognizing that marriage is a commitment to make this exact person the right person for you by daily making that relationship work.). But the average person also sleeps with their significant other, lives with them, and does a multitude of other things that we as Christians are called not to do. We are not to be average, but followers of God. Therefore, is it really that strange to see a dozen of my friends from school getting married so young? And furthermore, shouldn't we support them in their decision to have godly relationships and aspire to be in God's blessings? Just food for thought; comments are appreciated.

I was looking at pictures from last summer, and I did SO MUCH MORE last summer (already! by this date last year) than this summer! I have been consumed with finding a job and busying myself as to not appear lazy, that I've forgotten to enjoy the day that lies before me. And so today: I will call my Grandma, mend the straps on a few of my tops, do laundry, start reading another book, and perhaps bake some pumpkin/chocolate chip bread. And did you know that as soon as I started typing those sentences, the sun peeked out from underneath the clouds for a moment? Ahh, sunshine. I've missed you.

1 comment:

  1. Bren, ironically, I was just talking to your sis today at Heather's bridal shower about ppl our age getting married. (Speaking of that, I really enjoyed her little message today.) I'm almost 23 and am now single again. My sis was married at 21 and had a kid by - not quite - 22. My other sis and my bro got married later (and it all happened very fast too!). I think it all depends on the person. But, I think ppl who get married later tend to know themselves better and so it SEEMS to happen faster because it DOES happen faster. More than likely, these ppl have been through some experiences that have helped them figure out who they are and what they want in a spouse.

    Oh, and here's my take on the whole finding the right person thing. I think, in reality, we probably have several ppl (I think I've scientifically heard 5-6) that we cross paths with and could marry. But God gives us freewill in all our decisions, including whom we marry. I think that when we take one path in life, we obviously end up meeting different people than if we had taken a different path (i.e. if I hadn't gone to Western or to Spain I wouldn't have met certain ppl). And, I think as long as we're in God's will, seeking Him, then one decision isn't necessarily right or wrong. Does that make sense? I think God knows what we're gonna decide, but doesn't make us decide it (because we have freewill). And, I think it can be applied to marriage. I think a lot of finding "the right person," so to speak, is about timing too (i.e. knowing who you both are and what you both believe first).

    Okay, that's just my two-sense on the subject. I definitely could say more, I'm sure. It's something that I've been thinking about a lot too. And yes, I see those pictures too...

    Oh, and I'll just pass on some advice that my sis Ky told me, that I'll never forget. "Be content where you are right now." Easier said than done, but definitely something to strive for. And, for me, knowing that I have a bunch of ppl praying for me and for my future spouse and that my fam members have been there too at some point in their lives gives me hope. :)

    ReplyDelete