Friday, May 28, 2010

a summer night.

i was never one to find my personal value in a paycheck. in a promotion.

i think i was destined to be a mama. you know, besides the whole changing diapers/raising children sort of thing.

i love to cook & bake just about anything. i don't mind cleaning the toilets in the bathroom. i take spontaneous trips to the library and fill recyclable bags full of novels that make my imagination swirl with characters as dear to me as my real friends. i buy scrap paper from hobby lobby & design cards to send "just because." i garden...a lot. as in, my boyfriend has to build me a very large trough to fit all my flowers.

and, as of late, i go to garage sales and buy chairs with potential. yes, on the way to the library today, i bought an oak chair. that i will reupholster. by myself. actually, my best friend & i will do it because, well, we are a team.



my grandparents' 65th anniversary is on sunday. today, i baked 6 dozen cookies that make the hours pass by in an instant. there's something therapeutic about baking for me. its cut & dry directions. 2 3/4 cup of flour. add 2 tsp. of cream of tartar. bake at 400 degrees. step-by-step without any room for error. life can get so out-of-whack with errands and complications that pop up out of nowhere. so its this balance of creating something with such certainty amidst a crazy life that gives me joy. you know what else gives me joy? the way the sugar just seems to sparkle on top of these 72 snicker-doodles...



i'm so happy to be sitting right here with my cup of tea & one my new books: the memory keeper's daughter. life is fabulous...even if the laundry doesn't get done. even if adam & i get in a fight in front of the movie theatre and it was all my fault. even if the cucumbers in my fridge are getting squishy because they just look so much more delicious to me in the store.

this is life: parts that taste like cinnamon sugar & parts that maybe i want to spit out. but i still keep baking. because the good bites are the ones i always remember.

2 comments:

  1. Brennigan-first off, this post made me smile--a LOT. Secondly, your long facebook message made me smile. Thirdly, I will be replying to it soon. :) Really, I always love it when you post new entries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUCH a beautiful post and the part about the cucumbers makes me smile because I do that too :)

    ReplyDelete